Date:
Wed, 25 Jun 1997 12:17:23 +0800

Hello all,

I have just discovered I have a chance for a three weeks holiday in
Vancouver, picking up a RV and then touring the Canadian Rockies for three
weeks, before flying back home to Hong Kong from Vancouver.  I have been
diagnosed celiac now for 6 months, and stick rigidly to my new diet out
here in Hong Kong.  I am British, just happening to live in Hong Kong at
present.  I went to the web site and looked up contacts in Vancouver,
thinking to write and ask for help with picking up some celiac food
supplies upon arrival......but the name and address is for snail mail only.
 No e mail address was included.  I do not think I have time for letters to
be sent back and forth, so can anyone help me please??

I need some information on the buying of simple celiac foods - and easily
found stores......I won't have too much time to spend touring Vancouver
trying to find places!!  Can I purchase things like rice cakes, soy milk,
and a celiac cereal (brand names?) from an ordinary supermarket in Canada??
 Will I be able to find some foods along the way through the Rockies that
will be suitable for eating?   I know nothing of the area, and we are going
on this holiday because hubby really wants to go.  I feel a little
trepidation at the thought of living off rice, meat and vegetables and
fruit for three weeks, especially with the colder weather and the need for
calories to keep me warm.  So any advice will be most gratefully received.
I have a gluten free, nearly lactose free diet to deal with.  I can
tolerate small amounts of lactose, but prefer soy milk on cereal.  I will
try and take some supplies with me to get through the airplane ride and the
first couple of nights in the hotel.

Gratefully appreciative of any replies to make my holiday a wonderful
treat!!
Please reply to me personally, as I am sure the whole list do not need to
read these answers.
I know we are supposed to go through the contact points on the Web for info
concerning travel in other countries, but in this case, I hoped that
writing to the group would be all right.

Love from,
Chris Hawkins