Date:
Thu, 1 May 1997 22:42:28 -0700

Hi Everyone,
Received an e.mail answer to my letter of March 1997 from Ben & Jerry's
Ice Cream and Yogurt. Please let me summarize their letter.

"We have received assurances from our supplier of vanilla extract that it
is not made from grain derivatives, so we have determined that our
Vanilla is safe for those who cannot consume even tiny amounts of wheat,
rye, oats, or barley. We have also received assurances from the suppliers
of the fruit bases for our Cranberry Orange sorbet and Doonesberry sorbet
that they are GF. As we have learned more about Celiac Sprue, we have
decided to use extremely strict criteria for determining what flavors are
safe. Unless we have heard specifically from a supplier regarding the
gluten content of their ingredients, we will not make any assumptions
about the safety of a finished product".

The company is keeping my name on a database so that they can send me
updated info as they receive it. As this is sent to me, I, in turn, will
do the same for all my celiac friends.

Sincerely, Cindy in NJ