From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jun 1997 23:01:02 -0400
On Tue, 3 Jun 1997, Sandra Alexander wrote:

> I need some help with the pemmican recipe.  I am beginning to feel like a
> dunce.  I dehydrated the beef, ground it in the blender and melted the beef
> fat twice.  When I put the ground up dried beef into the fat I
> realized that I didn't have enough fat since it wasn't pourable, it was only
> moistened. Used it anyway, realized too late that I shouldn't have used the
> cupcake papers since that was soaking up some of the grease.

Funny you should ask.  I just made my second batch.

My first batch was too crumbly, due to insufficient tallow.  This
time I got more, but still found that about a pound of suet
yields only about a half cup (US measure) of tallow.

So my second batch (based on three pounds of dried brisket) was
still not pourable, but I spent a lot of time mixing the tallow
and stirring it around until every sliver of beef was coated.  I
spooned it into cupcake papers after I ran out of the foil ones.

This batch is less crumbly than the last, but still a bit
crumbly.

> I put it into the refrigerator and when I take them out they are solid but
> as they get to room temperture they get soft and soggy.  Taste great though.
> I noticed that the ones that are cold have a heavy layer of fat along the
> bottom. Is this the way it should be?

It sounds to me like the tallow was still too hot when you mixed
the beef in (I actually pour the fat onto the meat, rather than
the other way around; I don't see what difference it would make),
so it stayed liquid long enough to pool on the bottom.  I also
had this problem with the first batch.  This time I waited until
the tallow was just warm and then mixed it in.  It definitely
helped the firmness of the pemmican; I think I just need a bit
more pemmican.

It would be useful to have the recipe in terms of volume:  How
many cups of shredded jerkey and how many cups of tallow.

It does taste good though, doesn't it.  And I use the suet rinds
for obedience training my dog.

Todd Moody

If I had used more fat, like I
> suppose I should have, they would have been very greasy. If you don't use
> the papers with the tins do they come out easily?  I didn't use any
> seasonings, actually they are very satisfying.
>
> If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.  I had already bought
> the beef I was going to use before
> I read John's post about asking the butcher to slice it. I would never have
> thought of it myself, but today when grocery shopping  I asked and in a few
> minutes she was back with it all nicely sliced.  What a time saver!! Thanks!
>
> Sandra

Todd Moody
www.sju.edu/~tmoody/