From:
Mara Riley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Aug 1997 15:29:07 -0700
At 07:55 AM 7/29/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Do you know that Portabella mushrooms are actually just the regular white
>button mushrooms you can buy much more cheaply right next to the Portabella
>mushrooms for a fraction of the price?  They've just been allowed to grow
>to full size.
>
>John Pavao

Actually, I think that Portobella are full-grown Crimini mushrooms (not the
same as the white ones; they're a bit darker brown, but a similar shape).
Crimini have a slightly more intense flavor than the white button
mushrooms.  This was in a recent edition of the Wash. Post food section. It
would be easy to mistake Crimini for white button mushrooms if you didn't
know that Crimini exist.  (They're not widely carried in grocery stores.)

Corbie
http://www.radix.net/~lindo
I am *NOT* a rabid feminist!  I had my shots last year.