RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Stephen J. Sisler" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jun 1997 06:19:58 -0400
Tom:
>4. I'm underweight and emaciated. How can I gain weight? Help!
>-  primarily a concern for men, as our society foolishly considers extremely
>   thin/underweight women to be more "beautiful"?!
>-  regular strenuous exercise, such as working with light weights, or
>Ashtanga  style yoga, can be very helpful in gaining/maintaining weight (Viktoras
>   suggested weightlifting in an interview in "Eat it Raw!" newsletter.)
>-  expand the scope of your diet - eat heavier raw foods like nuts, avocados,
>   sprouted sesame. Raw goat milk will put weight on quickly, if you are
>willing  to drink it. Note to fruitarians: it is extremely difficult to gain
>weight  on a fruitarian diet, even if you overeat avocados!
>-  some raw food authors recommend fasting to increase the digestive fire,
>and  indirectly increase food assimilation. This is really not a good idea
>when  you are emaciated - for alternatives, see increasing digestive fire below.

To expand upon your comments above, most of the books and information I've
seen indicate that to gain weight by increasing muscle mass through weight
lifting, the muscles must be stimulated to grow by progressively increasing
the weight lifted as the muscles grow stronger. Progressively increasing
the weight keeps the muscles challenged, so they keep growing to meet the
challenge, producing weight gain. Low intensity high repetitions exercise
with light weights is good for aerobic conditioning and "toning", but
believed to be of more limited effectiveness for promoting much growth in
muscle mass and weight gain. High intensity, low rep workouts allowing 1 to
2 days of rest for muscle growth between workouts of the same muscle group,
are thought to be much more effective in producing weight gain. If anyone
wants more detail, the books and magazines for body builders are likely to
have the most information, though I would think most raw fooders would want
to ignore the sections on drugs, supplements, etc.. There is also a web
site "The Hardgainers Home Gym" at http://www.monmouth.com/~rclodfelter/
which offers a FAQ and training tips, though not geared toward raw fooders.
Most any kind of exercise tends to increase the digestive fire and
appetite, which can help one to gain weight.

Stephen