RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sheila Shea <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jun 1997 21:21:20 -0700 (MST)
>FESTIVAL OF PURE FOOD: COMMENTS

>My conversation with her, and others that night, reminded me that our raw
>world is often very closed and narrow. People of color, people living in inner
>cities, and lower income people could gain much from learning about
>raw/living foods.Much of the time, we rawists consume expensive, even
>"exotic" foods, forgetting that others cannot afford such luxury.
> Was it Marie Antoinette who said the
>peasants should eat cake if they can't afford bread? I suspect some rawists
>would tell the poor to eat durians, or to make expensive, organic fruits
>the staple part of their diet. Another example is wheatgrass - the poor
>cannot afford $500-700 for an electric juicer. (The best answer to those on
>low incomes appears to be sprouts - good food at an economical price). At
>times, we seem to be a privileged, spoiled and somewhat self-centered bunch. We
>think our (often expensive) raw diet is the answer, forgetting that others
>cannot afford some of the foods we consider to be staples (e.g., avocados).

>SF-LiFE is interested in outreach and education, and wants to take the
>message of raw/living foods to people of color, and others. We will
>participate in every community outreach program that we can.

Dear Tom,
I'm very impressed with your thinking and I agree with you. I'm glad you
are participating on a community level. Urban gardens and sprouting and
even fermenting veges, nuts, and seeds are all possible in the inner city.
Sometime I would like to attend one of the raw food seminars.
Keep up the great work.

Kind Regards,
Sheila Shea
Always interested in Intestinal Health and Colon Hydrotherapy issues.
http://www.sheilas.com