From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 1997 23:21:37 -0400
Cherry season is approaching and with dried cherries around here costing me
$13.50/lb. there is a strong incentive to get my dehydration act together.
Those inexpensive hand held pitters are useless. A little asking in the
newsgroups finds that there are at least four serious ones on the market.
(And someone noted that these can work with olives.)

==================

The Chef's Catalog, 1-800-338-3232, http://www.chefscatalog.com/

They have a Leifheit (German-made) cherry stoner that they say will pit a
pound of cherries in 75 seconds. The copy says "Large feeder funnel with
spring-loaded steel plunger encased in a plastic handle. 6 3/4L x 5 1/4W x
9 1/8H." It sits on the countertop instead of clamping. Replacement gaskets
and spring are ordered from the manufacturer, who has a large line of
appliances. A discussion with a rep finds that the metal parts are
stainless and all of it can go in the dishwasher. Item No. 3600 Cherry
Stoner $39.99

==================

Lehman's (in Ohio), 1-330-857-5757,  [log in to unmask],
http://www.lehmans.com/
Web site has the category for them listed but not these specific items.

They have two:

(1) Modern plastic version ("Our Best") has major components of steel
(punch, spring, spring rest, clamp) and the plastic body is dishwasher
safe. 7 1/2" H clamps. Claims 73 cherries per minute. Imported from
Taiwain. #1761; $21.65. The pitter repair kit can be ordered from Lehmans
for $3.95. It says the gasket and spring are good for two years.

(2) Old Fashioned Cherry Pitter. For restaurant-style high speed volume,
but it also crushes and splits the cherries. It has a Xylon coated cast
body that cleans easily and resists rust. Stands 7 1/2" tall and clamps.
Made by ChopRite (sp?). #16T for $57

==================

Colonial Garden Kitchen (Hanover House), 1-800-654-5410

This says "High-impact plastic stoner clamps to any work surface." 657941,
$19.99

So now I have to decide which one to buy. Since there is no reason why
something like this shouldn't last for decades, I am concerned about
availability of replacement parts in the future.

Don.

P.S. What is the weight ratio between whole fresh and pitted & dried
cherries? How many cherries in a pound?