From:
Sky Yardley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 1997 08:27:12 +0000
We are raising our children by the method described in the Continuum
Concept (by Jean Liedloff, mentioned a few posts ago).  It works for us.
The way is that the kids stay with you <and your tribe, if you have one>
all the time.  As infants, they are always held by another person until
they are big enough to squirm away and crawl away on their own, always
knowing they can return for comfort.  This means no cribs in another room,
and backpacks and front packs for ease of carrying.  Nursing on demand.  As
they get bigger they begin to participate in the life of the tribe/family,
ie they learn to use tools and help with food preparation, hunting, etc.
For us this translates as homeschooling as well as
child-participation/observation in much of what the parents do to earn
money.  Our kids are 10 and 6 at this point and, if I may say proudly, are
pretty great people.

I highly recommend reading this book.

We may not return to hunter-gathering but there are aspects of the life we
can incorporate into our daily lives as humans nearing the 21st century.
Decreased consumption of material goods.  Eating in tune with the seasons
and our locale.  Living in harmony with the weather, the environment.
Caring for our children ourselves.  Incorporating spiritual practices into
our lives.

For us, the path to this is thru homeschooling and homesteading.  We
practice small-scale agriculture here, but the foods we eat belong to the
hunter-gatherer class of foods -- meat, fruits, veggies and nuts -- some
cultivated, some wild.

jane