From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jun 1997 22:59:50 -0400
On Mon, 2 Jun 1997, yoyo9 wrote:

>        My question is what do you think of the Paleodiet in these
> circumstances especially since the prevailing 'wisdom' is high carb,
> especially grains, such as oatmeal, and limited protein/fat.

There's no reason why the paleodiet should be low in fiber.  Keep
your intake of vegetables up and you should get plenty of fiber
without grains.  I believe it is the *combination* of fat and
starch that slows gut transit time and causes colon cancer risk.

>     I also have Diabetes now and am on insulin since Jan97, had a heart
> attack last month..total shock, no warning, no expectation. Angioplasty
> opened the blocked vessel and the prognosis is "good" they say.

From the sound of it, your heart attack was a result of
accumulated damage from perhaps years of undiagnosed or
borderline diabetes.  I think the prognosis is even better with
the diabetes under control, and the paleodiet should be a great
help with that.

>         I am not asking for 'medical advice' if you are uncomfortable
> calling it that,  just your own opinions and thoughts, experience.

Obviously, this is right on target with the recent discussion of
arachidonic acid.  You are at risk for the kinds of clotting
problems that are sometimes linked to excessive or unopposed AA.

If it were me -- based on the fact that paleolithic people
probably ate more EPA than we do, and EPA opposes AA to some
extent -- I'd throw some fish oil supplements into my diet.  And
since garlic seems to have anti-clotting properties that are
pretty well documented, I'd make liberal use of that, too.

Actually, I take the fish oil supplements anyway, just because
that at worst it's useless but is probably beneficial.

I think it goes without saying that you will monitor your blood
lipids closely as you go along.  I do think that it makes good
sense to go, cautiously, with what feels right for your body.

Todd Moody