From:
Troy Gilchrist <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jul 1997 11:13:43 -0500
Grant Magnuson wrote:

> Troy Gilchrist wrote:
> >  my present measurement of 4.7%.
> > My total serum cholesterol is around 120.
>
> I'm real curious (and greatly concerned), I'm looking at Eades' "Protein
> Power" and I see the lowest IDEAL body fat is 12% for a male, rising as
> we get older -- therefore isn't your 4.7% too low?
>
> Further, I see a chart of "Deaths from all causes vs Cholesterol levels"
> and it sure looks like a 120 is as risky as a 260+, doesn't it?
>
> Eades say: "As your cholesterol levels falls below a certain point, you
> jump out of the frying pan of heart disease risk and into the fire of
> death by all sorts of other diseases."  He mentions such things as
> cerebral hemorrhage and many types of cancer "for which falling
> cholesterol is a marker."
>
> With all due respect, I wonder?

Having read PROTEIN POWER, I was also concerned by this measurement. I
asked a doctor about my readings and he assured me that my particular
condition was nothing to worry about. I do plan to monitor my serum
cholesterol levels future.

The normal range of body fat for male hunter-gatherers is 5% to 10%. The
margin of error of infrared measurement (the one I used most recently,
considered very accurate) is +/- 1% to 2%. My measurement of 4.7% is
well within the range of normal for hunter-gatherers when this margin
for error is considered. (Ray has been at 5.2% for as long as I can
remember.) Endurance athletes often have body-fat similar percentages.
Again, the doctor informed me that my measurements were good.

Troy