From:
Mara Riley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jul 1997 08:17:34 -0700
At 08:33 AM 7/23/97 -0500, you wrote:
>On Wed, 23 Jul 1997, John C. Pavao wrote:
>
>> I don't see a huge coordinated conspiracy.  I see a few different groups
>> comprised of many people, some knowing and some not, that understand that
>> they stand to continue to profit by continuing the misinformation.

Karl replies,
>        This is the picture I was trying to paint.  However, I would not
>underestimate the promiscuity of human evil.

Hm.  Do you mean deliberate evil -- deliberate manipulation of other people
for one's own good, even if you know that it harms them; or secondary evil
-- simple selfishness, the inability to think beyond the simple sphere of
'me, my and mine'?

The second is the most common, IMO.  There are occasionally a very few
people who can live with the knowledge that they're hurting other people;
those are the twisted bastards that deserve to be gutted alive.  Most
people who wind up hurting other people try to tell themselves either that
it's a) inevitable, that the end results would have happened regardless,
and there's nothing they can do about it, or b) for a greater cause of some
sort.  In other words, self-justification.  They can't live with the
knowledge that they're the cause of unjust suffering, so they make up excuses.

None of the above, IMO, applies to the low-fat paradigm.  It's simply just
such an all-pervasive weltverstandnis that it takes a sledge-hammer to
budge people from that way of viewing things.

Corbie
http://www.radix.net/~lindo
I am *NOT* a rabid feminist!  I had my shots last year.