From:
Lady Ariel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 May 1997 09:09:29 -0500

        Well here's the recipe for Irish soda bread that I made GF 2
nights ago and !GF (NOT GF, for those non-programmers) last night.  The GF
stuff I made fell apart so badly that I really couldn't even eat it.  I
guess it needs some Xantham Gum or something to hold it together, but
I've really no idea how much...so you're on your own there.

        Also, when I made this stuff, I used all brown rice flour.  Brown
rice flour seems to be a bit like eating sand (ugh :)  although I'm sure
it's high in fiber...and that's always good for the old bowels.

Irish Soda Bread.

2 Cups of GF Flour (Probably some sort of mixture is good).
3 Tablespoons butter or margarine
1 egg white slightly beaten
3/4 cup milk or buttermilk (I use plain old milk)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder

        Put the flour into a large bowl.  Add the butter and mix with the
flour until it gets clumpy.   Stir the egg and milk in a separate bowl
until it's mixed well.  Add the other dry ingredients to the flour/butter
mixture and make sure it's mixed well.   Form a little "well" in the
center of the flour and pour in the liquid.  Mix this until it's good and
moist.  Remove from the bowl and knead it about 12 times until it's
smooth.  Place this on a greased cookie sheet.  The dough just needs to
be in a round "mound." About 7 inches in diameter....so not too high, not
too flat.   Bake for 30 minutes.  Voila...Irish Soda Bread.