Date:
Wed, 21 May 1997 17:50:19 -0700

The following pie crust was shared at our support group meeting and I
felt like I had just eaten an "old-time pie" with gluten.  Give it a try.

GF DOUBLE CRUST

1 1/4 Cup rice flour
1 t. salt
2/3 Cup solid shortening (in mine, I included about 1 T. butter flavored
        Crisco in the 2/3 cup and the rest was regular Crisco)
1/2 Cup cold water
1 T. potato FLOUR--not starch

Blend rice flour, salt, and shortening in bowl. Set aside.  In a small
bowl, with mixer on low speed, gradually add potato flour to water--or
use a small whisk. Pour the potato flour mixture over the rice flour
mixture and work in with spoon.  Then knead into a ball with as few
strokes as possible.  Either press across bottom and upside of your pan
or roll between 2 pieces of wax paper that is dusted with rice flour. (I
thought it worked better to pat it in the pan or between wax papers with
fingers.) Flute edges and use for unbaked crust or bake and then fill
with filling.

Sharon (KS)