RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Aug 1997 14:55:42 -0500
Liane:
>I noticed many people don't think a newsgroup would be a good idea. I
>would love to see a newsgroup for raw food in addition to this list. I
>still would stay on the list and enjoy that, but I would also like the
>option of going to a newgroup once in a while too.

If the newsgroup was moderated, I agree it would be a nice option.

>I wouldn't mind all the advertisements because I don't have to read them
as I  can just mark them 'read' and then they won't be there next time I want to
read  the newsgroup and I wouldn't have to delete a lot of email everyday after
>I'm done reading everything.

I find deleting messages in my mailbox to be a lot easier than having to
sieve through  the endless ads in a newsgroup. Also, you will get private
junk mail from spammers who collect email addresses from newsgroups, though
I understand that some spam filters can be quite effective.

>I think a raw newsgroup could co-exist with the raw food email list
>quite easily. Those who don't want the newsgroup don't have to go there,
>so things could go on for them just as always in this list.

This is true. Maybe you could organize getting one started?  This will,
however, involve a lot of work especially if the newsgroup is to be
moderated.

>At the same time I want to emphasize that I do enjoy this list also. I'm
>not for one and against the other. I'm for both. Both ideas are
>wonderful.

I have learned that the Listserv software allows for a newsgroup to be
gatewayed to a mailing list meaning that the newsgroup and the mailing list
would be the same entity. As with the mailing list only members of the
newsgroup would be able to post. The celiac list is set up this way.  I do
not have the time or interest to undertake such a project
but when a new moderator is found for this list, maybe this would be a way
to go.

Best, Peter