PALEODIET Archives

Paleolithic Diet Symposium List

PALEODIET@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Al Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 May 1997 19:58:02 -0400
>  Date:    Tue, 13 May 1997 09:03:12 +0100
>  From:    Andrew Millard <[log in to unmask]>
>  Subject: Ancient bread
>
>  This question appeared recently on BritArch mailing list, but there was no
>  response.  Does anyone here know anything?

> I recently bought some sprouted wheat bread which claims on the
>packaging that this is how bread was made thousands of years ago.  The
>ingredients consist only of sprouted wheat grains, germinated in spring
>water.  Does anyone know if this claim is true and, even better, how it
>is made?  I hope this query isn't too tangential.

This sounds like what is usually sold as Essene Bread in the U.S.
I have read descriptions of how is was supposed to have been made by the
ancient Essenes who lived in the deserts of the Middle East during and
before the time of Christ.

As I recall, the wheat berries were soaked in water until they swelled
and then were kept moist until they sprouted.  When the sprouts were
about the length of the berry, they would be crushed and ground for bread.
Sprouting releases enzymes which convert the starch in the berry to sugar
and so the mash would be quite sweet and would readily support the growth
of naturally ocurring yeast which abounds everywhere. This would cause the
loaves to rise, somewhat.  When they were ready, the loaves were placed on
rocks in the desert sun to bake. I don't recall if they mixed oil with the
dough or not.  I suspect they would have done so, as sprouted wheat mash
is very gummy and hard to handle, otherwise, and would have stuck to the
rock and become dry and hard as a brick without oil.(This is an educated
guess, as I've not tried it, although I have used sprouted wheat in baking
and experimented with making malt (sprouted barley).

Maybe not too tangential.  It could be accomplished with only rocks, and
animal fat under very primitive conditions, assuming suitable grass seeds
were available.  Hope this is helpful.

Al Davis