NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 3 Jun 1997 19:30:03 -0500
>Rice Dream (Imagine Foods) produces NO dairy products so there can >be no
accidental dairy in their food (as far as I know)....

I assume you are referring to Rice Dream frozen items when you say that they
don't produce any dairy products...but since it is not clear I thought I
would ask and also point out a few things that may be misleading to those
with serious allergies. Imagine Foods DOES produce a product or two that has
dairy ingredients within them.  One example is a product called Ken &
Roberts Veggie Pockets (in my local super market they are sold in the
vegetarian section) that are FULL of casein.  Most, though not all of these
veggie pockets, are made with soy cheese and that means they do have the
dairy protein casein in them.  Also, _some_ forms of carob can be sources of
"hidden" or unexpected dairy.  I have not called the Imagine Foods company
to check on their form of carob since their frozen line doesn't appeal to me
personally...but it IS possible for whey and/or dairy proteins to be in
processed carob and carob chips.  If you are dairy sensitive and eating
anything with carob in it that you didn't make yourself with dairy-free
carob....don't trust it without checking!