CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Larry Stamm <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 1999 20:18:30 -0800
-----Original Message-----
From: Martin William Smith <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Date: March 29, 1999 12:28 PM
Subject: Re: [CHOMSKY] The Bombing

>I'm not convinced that it is wrong to use military action to stop and
>destroy the Serb military capacity.  I agree with most of the
>criticism of the US, by Chomsky and others, vis á vis our appalling
>record, but the argument against military action is beginning to
sound
>like: The US can't act militarily in Yugoslavia because it has a
>history of doing bad things.  Any nation electing to confront
military
>action with military action must have an impeccable moral and ethical
>record in all situations, or it is immoral for that nation use
>military action, even if the situation might demand it.
>
>Of course there are arguments against a claim that the situation
>demands it.  There is the argument that all acts of war are morally
>wrong; there is the argument that this act of war is illegal, and
>there is the argument that it won't work anyway.  But there seems to
>be something more going on here that ignores the suffering that is
>being caused by the Serb military.
>
>This is my impression at this point as I continue to read and hear
>various sources on the subject.  I'm generally toward the Buddhist
end
>of the spectrum in these matters, but I'm not a pacifist.
>
>martin

I would like to agree with Martin Smith on this point, and add a
couple more.  I have seen many messages describing the NATO action as
being US led.  No doubt the US is the largest contingent involved in
the bombing, but this action has widespread support and participation
from most (all?) NATO countries, which hasn't been the case for many
other military actions the US has undertaken in recent years.  In
Canada the possibility of military involvement in Kosovo was debated
in parliament last November, and the decision to be involved in
possible NATO action was approved then.  This is one case where I
think Canada decided its foreign policy at least somewhat
independently from the US.

Whether or not the bombing is justified or not I can't say, but a
whole lot of countries have decided that it was, not just the US.
This is a fact that needs to be taken into account.

I don't think it serves us well at this point to cast blame on NATO,
because what is done is done, and casting blame will not bring us back
to the point before the bombing started.  What is needed are
innovative and respectful ideas about how to remedy the current
situation.  Time enough to analyze and cast blame when the shooting
has stopped.

Furthermore, I have heard the NATO bombing being blamed for the
current atrocities allegedly being done by the Serbs in Kosovo. This
argument is utter nonsense.  If the Yugoslav army, or other Serb
organizations, are indeed commiting war crimes in Kosovo, they are
solely responsible for their actions and no blame can be shifted by
describing such actions as predictable responses to military attack.

Larry Stamm                         Tel: (250) 569.3385
PO Box 561                          Email: [log in to unmask]
McBride, BC V0J 2E0           Web: www.mcbridebc.com/luthier
Canada