RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Mar 1999 18:37:08 +0100
Hi Axel,

re: experiments on animals.

I agree that natural healing is best, and that modern medications are
rarely without undesirable side-effects, but consider:

 -most illnesses are caused by the fact that people have deviated from
natural living. One cannot expect natural healing to be so powerful
that it could cure any illness due to unnatural reasons.

 -Even wild animals can die from infectious diseases. It has also been
reported that some instinctive eaters have died of malaria.

 -Many drugs are tested in clinical trials. This doesn't mean they are
100% efficient, nor that they don't have any side-effects, but that
they work significantly better than a placebo.

 -Improving lifestyle can help, but one should keep in mind that a
significant part of the improvements observed when changing one's diet
is due to psychology (placebo-like effect). If one doesn't believe
strongly that eating raw may help, or if one is not able to do so,
than taking a drug can be a better solution.

In a nutshell, I see that you react strongly against animal
experimentation, but what if you were directly concerned? Like, if you
had to choose between letting your mother die or give her a drug that
would enhance her chances of survival (that is, more than a placebo
would), but if that drug had required killing 5000 mice, what would
you do? (In other words, do you think your mother's life is less, or
more important than that of 5000 mice? Which option seems more
criminal to you?)

Note: I think experimenting on (preferably small) animals is justified
when it can save lives, but I am definitely _against_ experiments on
animals when it comes to testing a new food preservative or a new cosmetic.

--Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>