RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Aug 1997 12:50:21 -0400
Dariusz:
> But doesn't it bother you that you know of a way to make your (or
> others') life better through a diet and yet are "forced" to keep your
> mouth shut about it at the risk of being called a "weirdo?"

I don't shut my mouth completely. If they are really interested, then I
will talk about it. The point is that very few actually are, so why
bother justifying my diet to someone who would continue eating potato
chips, and in addition call me a weirdo?

Explaining the fundamentals of instincto theory is much more difficult
than you might think. The main reason is that no one is conscious that
the "taste change" exists, so whatever you say about it, they won't
really believe it because for them, it's something abstract, or even
nonexistent. And even if they do, there should be some discussion about
whether taste change is 100% effective, whether it works on cooked food,
etc... And don't even think about introducing the "beneficial microbe
(pseudo-)theory"...

I think that eating raw can work well *IF* you are willing to invest some
time, make some efforts and a few sacrifices. Most people are not. So,
I wouldn't asvise them to begin eating instincto or any other raw diet
because it would probably lead to a failure. That doesn't mean their
diet can't be improved: increasing raw fruits+vegs, avoiding fried food
and heavily processed food, reducing cooked grains, for instance, are
a few important steps. If you explore the literature, you will see that
there are many other diets in which people are successful. I find
myself comfortable with a raw diet, but I don't expect others to. However,
I would like to do my best to become a living example of long-term
success for whoever is interested in eating raw.

> What would art, science and literature be without a properly nourished
> man?  Sure, some are born with good genes, but much of an average man's
> productivity and creativity is a direct result of what he puts into his body.

Don't forget the numerous writers, poets who were alcoholic or drug-addicts.
And in general, many well-known people had health problems. And the
obvious: all past philosophers, artists, etc... were cooked food eaters.

> The more time you spend thinking about what you eat, the more connected
> you are with your body and mind and hence the better the two will work for
> you.  I'll spend half of each of my day looking for quality foods that I
> need, and the other half working like a horse so that I can afford to buy
> them them if I have to; if this is the price I have to pay to stay
> physically and mentally healthy then I sure as heck will pay it (and find
> it a most reasonable deal too).

The problem is: will you become significantly more physically and
mentally healthy? You won't increase you physical fitness by eating
raw (the body has no interest in building muscles that you don't
use). And to be mentally healthy, you need social interaction, which
is more difficult when you eat raw.

Best,

Jean-Louis