RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 1997 16:38:52 -0500
Peter:
>>Is killing an animal violence because force is used, because the animal
>>has a nervous system and therefore in you opinion suffers or because
>>another life is being ended? To me violence means somebody's rights or
>>integrity are being violated, and I do not see this being the case when
>>killing an animal for food or even when picking a peach from a tree. Is
>>the chimp violating the termites by eating them? - I think not. They
>>are there to serve the chimp and visa versa.

Stefan:
>I pick your definition and claim, that a kill violates the bodily inte-
>grity of a living being.

You see termination of life as a violation. Except for murder I do not.

>Also you are terminating possible social rela-tionships, the being might
live in.

And very likely opening up the door to new. Change is probably the only
certainty we have in this world.

>This may cause harm to the other members of the society. You are violating
them >indirectly then.

I am objecting to the word "violating" when describing the workings of the
food chain. If a crocodile eats me, is it violating me? No, it is just
having a meal by the only means it knows how. Even though I might feel very
violated in those few seconds before it has killed me off, the crocodile is
very innocent in its need to fulfill its dietary needs.

>Does that suffice?

We are getting close. :-)

Best, Peter