RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ellie Rotunno <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Aug 1997 19:48:43 -0700
 Sheila:
> Ellie, what is the safest simplest way to begin incorporating RAF in the
> diet in the US? All organic, pasture fed?

When I ate SAD I once had Salmonella so bad from some cooked chicken I ruined a mattress. I began
RAF by eating Sashimi in Sushi bars. I think I
had Salmonella from some salmon. It lasted one hour and that was it.
Since then I believe I've no doubt been exposed to lots of bacteria, but
I no longer get sick. As for parasites, I do worry a bit because of
Zephyr's experience, but as he said to me about eating raw liver once.
Maybe the risk of not eating it is more than the risk of eating it.

After the Sashimi, I began buying salt water fish (never
Fresh water) in fish markets, wild only, like Boston mackeral, salmon,
Artic char, tuna. These are the fattiest. Sometimes I have oysters. For a
year or so, I ate a lot of chicken, free-range, the breast meat near the
bone is very tender. Also eggs. I eat the liver too, but not a lot.

Coleman beef, shells steaks, are good, also Coleman lamb is especially
delicious.

Ronald F. Schmid has a good section on fish in his book Traditional Foods
are your Best Medicine. Healing Arts Press, Rochester, Vt.

My best, Ellie