RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dariusz ROZYCKI <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Aug 1997 12:17:57 -0400
On Thu, 7 Aug 1997, Jean-Louis Tu wrote:
> Actually, instinctos are never hungry (problem of overeating). And with the
> habit of not having breakfast, there is never any discomfort in the
> stomach. Myself, to be hungry, I have to skip a meal. Otherwise,
> I eat because it's time to eat, and anyway I am receptive to food
> (my stomach is empty and food smells/tastes good).

I'm sorry, but I don't get it.  How do you get around to food and figure
out when to eat if you don't go by any signs of hunger or stomach-related
signs?  Surely, you do feel some hunger or else your mind would not move
the rest of you to anywhere near food.

> Instinctos don't eat "anything", they eat whatever smells and tastes good.
> Using smell is difficult because it's unusual for us, but very rewarding.
> A fruit generally tastes good, thanks to the sugar in it. But if in
> addition it really smells good, then the pleasure in eating it can be
> incredible. On the other hand, if you eat by habit, without using your
> smell, you will end up being unhappy and frustrated (IMO).

Okay, that's a good explanation.

Along the same lines, how in the world do instinctos take any pleasure in
eating raw vegetables?  I find this quite impossible.  Is it necessarily
because I don't need any?  There doesn't seem to be a single veggies that
does it for my taste buds.  Okay, cucumber and tomatoes, but they're more
fruits.

> You should eat a food only if it smells and tastes good. If your
> choice is too limited, of course, you will have deficiencies.

Well, then 99% of instinctos must be deficient.  Surely, most people have
very tiny samples of all possible raw foods available to them, at any
given instance.  I think even more so was the case in our ancestors' times.

> Compare yourself tap water with distilled water and different kinds
> of mineral water. They all taste different. Choose the water you
> prefer. I personally avoid tap water in the US (smells like a swimming pool)
> and in France (too hard).

Yes, but none of the water one can get today (commercially, that is) is
natural or "raw" (term doesn't really apply here) per se. That defies the
instincts even more so than inorganic foods.  Or can distilled or spring
water be considered close enough?

> > Lastly, on raw fish, do you wash the pieces of raw fish (if consuming raw)
> > before eating?  I read somewhere that one shouldn't let the water get in
> > contact with the flesh (changes taste).  But the darn thing has been
> > sitting on ice in the store, and I'm sure the salesman washes it before
> > he sells it and packs it anyway.  How do you deal with this issue?

> I don't find necessary to wash fish. Why would you want to wash
> it just before eating?

Let's see.  The fish is sitting on ice (possibly invaded with bacteria or
whatever else from previous things that were there); the salesman doesn't
necessairly wash his hands, gloves or whatever else machinery he's using
to cut/prepare the fish for you before you buy it.
It's like asking why people wash organic fruits or veggies.