RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jun 1997 18:52:14 -0500 (CDT)
>          Might like to wear cotton, might like to wear silk,
>          Might like to drink whiskey, might like to drink milk,
>          You might like to eat caviar, you might like to eat bread,
>          You may be sleeping on the floor, sleeping in a king-sized
bed

>               But you're gonna have to serve somebody, yes indeed
>               You're gonna have to serve somebody,
>               Well, it may be the devil or it may be the Lord
>               But you're gonna have to serve somebody.
>
>as i often find with bob's songs, i resonate more with the spirit of
>some lines than the literal meaning some may impose upon it.  i react
>to the chorus with the thought that we have more than the two choices
presented (the devil vs. the lord).  then again, if i translate the
>terms into words more comfortable to my world-view, like "it may be
>the fear or it may be the love, but you're gonna have to serve
>somebody."

I often listen to Bob's songs the same way. Many of his songs came to
him in a stream of consciousness - a good reason not to take his lyrics
too literally.

>do all emotions ultimately originate from these two extremes, or do we
>acknowledge a multiplicity?

I do not think this is as important as the message in the song that we
all humble equals before the mystery of creation.

> thanks peter!  good luck finding a replacement, though i wouldn't
>mind if you kept on keeping on as our beloved moderator.  some may
>tear you down, but i belove you.  ;-)

Thanks, Bhodi. A friend of Bob is a friend of mine. :-)

>maybe to go to helen jean story's natural hygiene
>summer camp?  who else might go?).

I went last year and think you would be quite bored. You might want to
consider going to the Essene Gathering at Breitenbush instead. A lot of
exciting people will be attending, and I am considering going back
again this year. If for nothing else the sheer beauty and magic of the
place.

> bill ollison's permaculture design course deeply tempts me, as well.
>a fellow young raw-foodist took a design course last year (not from
>bill) and he couldn't say enough good things about the experience.  he
>borrowed my copy of _permaculture:_a_designer's_manual_ by bill
>mollison for his course.

This has my vote hands down. The price I believe is $950 including food
and lodging for 2 weeks and will probably be your last chance to ever
experience this master of permaculture in the US again.

Ellie:
>I was a schizophrenic and locked up for four years straight on a
>violent ward when I was in my twenties, after that in and out of
>dozens of hospitals. I was later diagnosed with a major depressive
>disorder, and finally as a manic depressive.

What a story. You must have had incredible reserves to be able to
survive such adversity. It is ironic that it requires a very strong
nervous system in order to make it through our mental institutions
intact.

Bob:
>[BS--I was referring to an alkaline BODY (intracellular) environment.
>I don't consider the digestive tube to be in the body.

Thanks for making the distinction.

>Yes, I'd expect the hi acid GI tract to kill most predatory parasites,
>etc. & after our vicarious experiences with Ano's adventure, I was
>thinking of ways to eliminate parasites that got PAST the GI tract,
>penetrated the "skin" & actually got inside the body.

It seems that if the intestinal walls have a thick mucus lining with
the correct PH, the right balance of intestinal flora and no symptoms
of a "leaky gut" then no parasites will get into the body.

>Specifically, Dr. Wm. Philpott claims the body produces a
>high oxygen, high alkaline cellular -- & presumably interstitial fluid
>--environment in response to negative pole magnetic energy & since our
>earth's magnetic filed is dwondoing --true? -- We perhaps oughta
>supplement it???  Comments, y'all?]

Makes a lot of sense to me as long as the intestinal environment is not
alkalized as well. How are the magnets applied and how much are they?

>3--Personal experiences raising these beasts while married to a normal
>spouse, etc.?

Maybe you could rent a little space nearby. Try talking to your local
fishing bait store for some ideas.

Zephyr:
>I eat grasshopers whole.

Tell me more. How often? How many? How do you catch them? How do they
taste? Are there any parts you do not eat?

Jean-Louis: I have deleted it but in a post to Martha you talk about
not caring about the suffering of animals. I am not sure what you were
trying to say. Could you please elaborate?

Stefan:
>And I think that people posting their oppinions to the internet
>without having deeply thought about the contents, are overstressing
>the patience of the others. For me personally you have exhausted my
>patience now with your continued posting of material about themes you
>haven't enough experience in. You look shortly at a subject, then your
>judge-ment comes. Somehow you remind me to the last postings of Bob
>Avery, who dealt with the things a similar way. His judgement came
>even quicker than yours and he obviously spent just minutes to write
>his postings while you are often carefully explaining and arguing.
>Still I miss a certain level of depth and perhaps research in your
>contributions.

Your tone seems a little sharper than need be, and I see no comparison
between Bob A.'s quick sound bites & Jean-Louis's thoughtful postings.
Still, I must admit that in this case you are right on and quite
perceptive in your evaluations of both Jean-Louis and Bob Avery. Jean-
Louis' last couple of postings have been missing some of that clarity
he has been spoiling us with for so long.

Tom:
>The best (in my opinion): Conscious Eating by Gabriel Cousens Living
>Foods for Optimal Health, by Brian Clement and a tie - Survival by
>Viktoras, and Rebuild Your Health by Ann Wigmore. Survival is dated -
>the "hippie" stuff is outmoded, and the fruitarian info is now
>discredited. However, there is still a lot of good info in it. Rebuild
>Your Health is Dr. Ann's last book - concise, but a bit narrow in
>focus.

The only one of the above I feel belong in best category is "Conscious
Eating". I would add "Improving on Pritikin" by Ross Horn, "Maximum
Immunity" by Bruno Comby " and Burger's book - the title escapes me -
as well and if it was a litle clearer in its writing "We Want To Live"
by Aajonus Vonderplanitz. Not to forget the book that beats them all:
"Native Nutrition" by Ron Schmid.

>The worst, or the unspeakably bad (in my opinion):
>what else? The NFL book.

With Roe Gallo's "Body Ecology" as a second runner up.

>A closing thought: stress is not caused by the events of our lives,
>but by our reactions to those events.

How very true.

>The idea is that the vendors would become an event of their own (a
>"food fair" of sorts). Such events are very popular in this area, and
>might draw lots of normal (i.e, not raw fooders) people.

Excellent idea.

>1) the event will NOT be under the SF Vegetarian Society umbrella.
>(Such a decison will cost hundreds of dollars in extra rent charges.)

Just raise the entrance fee. Paying six dollars for a full day's worth
of high quality activities is ridiculously low anyway.

>This will allow us to invite instinctos to actively participate. We
>might invite Zephyr and Aajonus to be speakers, perhaps one of them a
>keynote speaker. SF-LiFE is an open organization, there is none of the
>anti-instincto bias that characterizes certain hostile fruitarian
>>zealots.

Great idea! And there would surely be many others who promote high raw
diets that would want to attend such an event.

>Again, there are NO plans now for another Expo. Whether the above
>becomes a reality or not, depends on local volunteers - a commodity in
>very short supply for the last Expo!

Tom, thanks for all your good work and efforts. I would be surprised if
the success of this expo does not inspire some new people to volunteer
to help set up a another expo for May of next year or some later date.

>FESTIVAL OF PURE FOOD

Thanks for the perspective on how privileged indeed we are. The food
budget of one raw food eater could probably feed the average family
quite well.

Kirt:
>Stefan, I'm afraid, IMO, it is -your- style that is somewhat
>reminisant of Mr. Avery. You always seem to have the "True" answer or
>point of view

I can understand why you are making the comparision but I do not agree.
Stefan has a depth and a courage of his convictions that Bob A. never
has had.

>--and often based on swallowing whole Burger's narrative (and throw in
>a cackle of fruitarian psycho-babble for good measure).

I have enjoyed Stefan's clarity of thought on instincto matters
tremendously and found it very inspiring. If it happens to coincide
with many of Burger'd opnions, I have no problem with that.

>Having just looked over your last half dozen posts I am even more
>amazed at your tone with JL. From "counseling" Mr. Morrill, to your
>snippy bit to Tom about crossposting, to pontificating on the Truth of
>your version of Morality, you seem to be the one "posting their
>oppinions to the internet without having deeply thought about the
>contents, are overstressing the patience of the others". Then again,
>perhaps what we are privy to here _are_ examples of your deepest
>thinking.

Not always agreeing with Stefan I have enjoyed many of the very things
you criticize him for. It takes a lot of courage and tact to be able to
pull off some of the comments he has made, and I hope he keeps them
coming. It is also good to hear from you again, Kirt. The dynamics
between you and Stefan, Karl & Denis have been incredibly exciting to
follow and your contributions invaluable as usual.

Best, Peter