RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Martha Seagoe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 05 Jun 1997 09:36:35 -0800
Peter:
>(snip) ... I think many who get into raw foods are very insecure and
>traumatized people ... (snip) ... the
>issue of killing animals for food where the perceived suffering and
>cruelty of the animals resonates with the abuse that once took place.
>This explains why it is so difficult to discuss these matters because the
>vegan will in identifying with the perceived pain of the animals be
>operating from a lower part of the brain - the limbic system - which is
>the level of consciousness at which the original abuse took place. In
>more times than not it becomes an exercise in futility to try to establish
>communication as this terribly hurt, inner child has no concept of
>reason, only this inner wound that too painful to be faced in all its
>cruelty cannot be healed - the consequence being that the person
>arguing for eating meat becomes the demonized symbol of the original
>abuser. This behavior not only acts as an outlet for the pain but also
>functions as a way of avoiding the memory of what truly happened
>back when.

Hi Peter.  I appreciate the sensitivity with which this was written.  It
would seem to contradict mainstream psychology which claims that the
abused is more likely to become the abuser.  Any thoughts on that?

BTW, I *assume* you're not saying that anyone who believes that
'animals suffer when killed' are poor creatures to be pitied but not taken
seriously.  ;-)

Cheers,
Martha