RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Robert Wynman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Jun 1997 10:58:46 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-06-01 08:47:32 EDT, Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
>a would-be vegan who had to introduce dairy for
 >health reasons, or even eggs and/or insects (because some persons
 >are lactose-intolerant, etc) should not feel guilty if the amount is
 >kept at strict minimum.

Since Bruno's I.N. workshop in Larkspur, I've sorta looked forward to
sampling insects, particularly those like grasshoppers, crickets, etc. in the
"chitin" & the supposed "absolutely ihighest quality for humans" type
protein.  (Bruno sed that for him, at least, a single gram of insects
satisfies his need for up to 10 grams of animal food & that he's observed
about the same formula with other humans -- not normal humans, of course,
Instinctos.)  ;-)

Aside from a few organic grubs in a 50# batch of Jaffee walnuts over a year
ago, my INTENTIONAL insect-eating has been zero, partly 'cause my wife, Lou
will move out if I begin sharing our property (even outside our home) with a
bug farm & partly 'cause I've been very slow contacting possible sources of
this food (reptile supply stores, bait shops, pet suppliers, etc.).  Probably
my behavior demonstrates I'm mebbe not yet quite ready for bugeating?

QUESTIONS FOR Y'ALL:

1--Recommended source for edible insects for a resident of the east coast of
California?

2--"Instincto quality"?  Bruno fed his crickets on grass clippings, I
believe, for some time --perhaps a few generations? -- before he'd eat them
so he wouldn't be eating whatever junk they're fed by most suppliers.)

3--Personal experiences raising these beasts while married to a normal
spouse, etc.?

Instinctively apprehensive,.

Bo7b