RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Christopher Wade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Apr 1997 22:16:53 -0700 (PDT)
        Greetings everyone =)

        Recently a team of us went on a raw food diet for 10 days.  Our
goal was eating mostly sprouts, nuts and seeds, fruits, vegetables, algae,
dried fruit, fresh juices, and nutritional supplements (like aquagen -
liquid oxygen, complete nutritional system by the Rainbow light company
that only uses natural substances, and shark liver oil for alkylglicerols).
No dairy or meat.  We sprouted seeds like radish, wheat, barley, peas,
corn, fenegreek, beans (except me because I never liked them, and I later
read Tom billings' article about NOT to eat the indigestible bean sprouts).
We tried to soak our nuts beforehand. We did not follow food combining
rules very well, partly because we knew our priority was to ensure we get
enough nutrition for health, thus food combining was secondary.  We ate too
much dried fruit, not enough sprouts (especially me because sprouts are
hard for me - though I know part of the answer to a raw food diet is plenty
of sprouts), not enough nuts and seeds, not enough greens (I know I need
plenty of lettuce and fiber as well), and we found we needed more oil in
our diet (not only for warmth - we live in Eugene, Oregon where it gets no
colder than 20 degrees Farenheit - but we didn't want to lose more weight
than our already thin body) so we tried raw flax seed oil in the black
bottle, avocados, expeller pressed olive oil (which kills the supposed
enzymes merely from the expelling process itself) but I know we never got
enough fat to stay warm - which sucks.
        But was this due to eating too much fruit? because we did lose
weight - which makes so I might have gotten more oil had we eaten more of
the other foods rather than dried & fresh fruit.  Have I hit the ideal diet
on the nose? I'm asking you if this is the track to a healthy raw food
diet?  Or is there more to the diet and in different proportions for the
diet other than what I suggested is ideal for someone, that is eating more
sprouts, greens, nuts and seeds, and less fruit?
        One problem we had was preparing the food that pleased out
tastebuds - which was frequently the case.  Though I suppose life is best
run step by step.
        Please help me refine my diet because I want to promote raw foods,
but not without being able to efficiently teach others how to do it.  The
Standard American Diet (SAD) cuts people off from nature - everybody
suffers from this so it really is sad for everyone.
        Another thing I think I'll try next time is soaking many of my
seeds without sprouting them, so the starch is still there as in baked
bread.  I'll have to really chew the foods, but at least it'll be raw.
        Here are the raw food books I have used:

        The UNcook book by Elizabeth Baker (1996), Light Eating for
Survival (1977), and the very interesting Unfired Food by George J. Drews
(1909).

        By the way, does anyone know if vegetarian food enzyme supplements
(with cooked meals) are good for you?  I don't know if my enzymes (Rainbow
light) is the Aspergillus stuff (what is aspergillus? and how do they make
the enzymes?) or not.
        And I'm glad about joining this list - thank you.
chow,
christopher