RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Douglas Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Dec 1996 22:31:17
Axel wrote:

>but what about the supposed eleterious (=A1!) effects
>of the unnaturally high sugar content of the fruits we have
>access to? What do you think about this? Bob
> Avery told me a few days ago that a general recomendation is 1.25
> pounds of fruit a day. For me this very low, and in fact I had been
> eating maybe 4 or 5 pounds of mostly sweet fruit for a year or so. Now
> am told that this is not good, I am not being a good to my body,
> too much sugar, etc.

>What other food would you include as an acceptable calorie
> source?

You don't necessarily need to replace these fruit calories with
something else, the idea is to eliminate them no matter what the
source.  Any food intake beyond the minimal requirements will cause
problems, whether those problems show up as clear diseases or take
years to appear as cancer or shortened lifespan.

>Again: what about the excessive sugar content?

See my other post about the glycogen storage pool.

>Do you think even the excess of protein derived from eating
> plenty of greens is damaging?

Yes, I have no doubt.

> Is this the same for other primates? Do  they have
>low protein requirements too? Because if gorillas do, then
> eating all those greens is going to shorten their lifespans.

I assume that is correct.  They eat loads of calories, & much of
them are in the form of protein.  They would live much longer if
they got closer to almost a starvation diet.

>One last question: what would be worst: the excessive sugar
> contentof current civilized fruits or the excess protein intake
> associatedwith the reduction of the fruit intake? ( I vote for the
> second one)

I agree.  The excess sugars can be eliminated much easier (see
Bohdi's long post on protein).  But sugars are bad news too.  They
cause glycosylation of proteins in the body, which is essentially
like the brown, caramel color generated when foods are cooked.  This
can really gum up the works in the body.  I assume long fasts zero
in on this stuff in an attempt to evict it.

--Doug Schwartz