From:
Troy Gilchrist <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jul 1997 11:49:58 -0500
Moira wrote:

> Molly wrote:
> >>
> >> Important Caveat: Make sure that his low carbohydrate diet provides
> >> adequate calories from fat. A low-fat/low-carbohydrate diet is
> >> dangerous.
> >>

> My question is, why does the dominant media put so much emphasis on "low fat"?
>
> Isn't this dangerous?  Why is everyone in this culture obsessed with low fat?
>
> I lost weight by eating more whole foods, fewer refined foods, and not
> obsessing on fats at all, in fact, eating olive oil and other healthy oils.
>
> Why does the media obsess on fats?

The media make money from advertisers. Nearly half of television
advertising, for example, is paid for by producers of low-fat,
carbohydrate-rich foodstuffs.

And what would pharmaceutical companies and doctors do if autoimmune
disease was drastically reduced through a massive shift to
low-carbohydrate/Paleolithic eating?

A lot of people have a lot to gain from maintaining the status-quo
common wisdom of the low-fat diet.

Troy Gilchrist <[log in to unmask]>
Co-author, NEANDERTHIN: A CAVEMAN'S GUIDE TO NUTRITION