From:
"John C. Pavao" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 May 1997 08:37:08 -0400
Karl,

That's true about the texture of uncooked hamburger.  But the real issue is
E. Coli.  Uncooked meat surfaces can have E. Coli on them.  When you grind
the uncooked meat up, you mix it all in, so it's probably a good idea to
throughly cook it.  With a steak, it's ok as long as you cook the outside
enough.

As long as we're on this odd topic, I've noticed a similar thing.  In fact,
if I wasn't so concerned about E. Coli, I'd probably try a piece raw.
 Since I like my steaks really rare, I suspect that I'd like it.  (I can
imagine my wife's reaction...)

John Pavao

----------
On Wed, 14 May 1997, John C. Pavao wrote:

> I've noticed since I started Atkins, but especially since I switched to
> Neanderthin a few weeks ago that the less cooked the meat is on the
inside
> (as long as it's done up on the outside), the better I like it.  What's
> strange is that I never really liked steak before and now I love it.  But
> still cook the hell out of hamburger.

        Hamburger just LOOKS gross unless it's a little burnt.  I tried
to make a pink-in-the-middle burger, but the texture was so visually
unappealing.  Not that I'm anti-muscle.  I got hungry, real hungry, at
the sight of blood when I was shopping for a beef roast yesterday.  That
was the FIRST time that ever happened to me in my life.  Maybe the
visual thing is that it looks chewed.  I think I'll stick to whole meats
unless I'm making a ground-beef salad.

-----
Karl Alexis McKinnon
SP2