From:
Al Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jun 1997 18:40:22 -0400
At 10:41 PM 6/7/97 +0200, Hans Kylberg wrote:

>There is some old (asian)indian wisdom saying that You shall not
>heat honey to more than ca 40 degrees Celcius (I dont know what
>that is in Farenheit, a little above 100 I think), because it
>makes the honey dangerous to Your body instead of healthy
>I dont know if it is true, but it seems to be quite wellknown.

Heating raw honey (or *any* raw food, including meat and milk)
destroys the naturally occuring enzymes contained in all foods.
These enzymes will predigest the food in the cardiac region of the
stomach, thus reducing the load on the pancreas. They begin to be
destroyed at about 118 deg. F, and the hotter, the faster.

If raw milk is allowed to simply rest in a container after it comes
from the cow, it will first turn to sour milk, which tastes similar
to yogurt and is delicious. After a while, it will then separate into
curds and whey. The curds are often called clabber. Put the curds in
a bag of cheese cloth to drain and you will soon have a soft cheese
called farmer's cheese. All edible, and all predigested with very
little effort on anyones part.  I think we all know what happens to
pasteurized/homogenized milk when *it* sits around at room temp. for
a while ( or perhaps in someones stomach)!

There is a lot of very interesting material in a book called
ENZYME NUTRITION BY Dr. Edward Howell. The book is an abridgement of
the original and probably doesn't have all of the references, but
there's a lot to ponder contained in it. I thought the subject of
food enzymes might be apropos to Paleodiet explorers.

Hope this is helpful.

Al