From:
Dean Esmay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 May 1997 00:12:46 -0400
If you want to see thoroughly well-documented coverage of the issue of
meat-eating in humans, just see http://members.aol.com/chetday/ward1.htm --
which will give you all the documentation you need to completely refute the
complete vegan bullshit that humans didn't evolve to eat meat.  This is
complete and total crap, with NO support (none whatsoever) in any of the
paleontological evidence.  Period.

The theory that humans didn't evolve to eat meat based on how their teeth
is constructed is 60+ years old and was never based on anything BUT theory.
It was a theory that's taken on the character of dogma.  It is based on the
assumption that if humans were meat to eat meat, we would have the teeth of
hunters to tear out the throats and break the necks of our prey.  But of
course that's not what humans are; we are tool users, and our teeth are
completely adequate to rend and tear meat that's already been killed with a
rock or a spear or by being driven into a pit or over a cliff.  Also our
digestive tracts are more complex than that of carnivores--but MUCH simpler
than the digestive tracts of true herbivores.  What's clear is that humans
evolved to be OMNIVORES.

Go read Ward's interview with Chet, it'll give you all you need in terms of
references.  (Actually for some time I've wanted the list of references
Ward quotes in that interview; Ward, could you possibly supply them?)

As for the Bible: I would have to disagree with Jeffrey Smith on the Bible.
Or at least offer a different interpretation.

Genesis 1: 28 clearly gives humans dominion over all the animals.  1:29 has
God giving humans grains and fruits with seeds as food, and 1:30 says that
all the green plants are for all the animals of the earth to eat.

From this perspective, humans are meant to be fruitarians.  And yet there
is nothing that says humans are forbidden to eat anything else.  You also
have the riddle that all the animals of the Earth, every animal, is to eat
only the green plants.  This makes no sense; we know that it's simply not
possible for lions or tigers or wolves to eat that way.  Therefore, either
1) there was something radically different about the food in Eden, 2) there
was a radical change to both human and animal metabolism after the fall, or
3) these rules applied ONLY in Eden itself, and not outside of it (and we
know full well there was an entire world outside of Eden at that time).

Also, the Bible clearly describes farming as God's curse on man for
original sin.  He forces man to eat by tilling the fields, working very
hard and in pain to grow and eat the plants of the field. (Genesis 3:17-19)
Later He clothes them in animal skins, and ejects them from Eden (Genesis
3:21-24).

Genesis 9:3 makes it very clear that after the time of Noah God expected
man to eat meat.  1 Tim. 4:2-4 much later implies that it's actually an
insult to God to suggest that meat is not good to eat. So at least on the
question of vegetarianism, it's clear that ethical veganism CANNOT be jived
with a Christian perspective, and it's also clear from that Biblical
perspective that there can be nothing unhealthy about it either (with
obvious exceptions for individuals with unusual problems.

Further, in the New Testament makes it clear that the old dietary laws are
to be discarded.

A decent biblical way of looking at this is to suggest that agriculture was
a punishment for original sin, and that the coming of Christ brought
forgiveness for that original sin--and alleviating us of, amongst other
things, the burden of agriculture.

From a creationist/biblical standpoint, you can't say it's exactly in
perfect harmony with paleolithic nutrition, BUT:

1) It is hostile to veganism.
2) It is not particularly endorsing of consumption of cereal grains.

All of this is assuming you feel that the story of creation and all that is
literal truth rather than allegory.  And of course, the whole complexion
changes if you're Jewish.  But the Christian faith at least would be
hostile to the vegans and at least not particularly closed to paleolithic
nutrition.

 -=-=-

Once in a while you get shown the light/
 In the strangest of places if you look at it right   ---Robert Hunter

http://www.syndicomm.com/esmay