From:
Troy Gilchrist <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jul 1997 23:52:40 -0500
John C. Pavao wrote:

> Actually, I did bring a supply of pemmican with me, but I've been having a
> problem with it lately.  I started buying roasts at a local market and
> having them slice it up for me so I can dehydrate it.  But when it's all
> made, it tastes terrible.  So I went to Vermont with a bunch of pemmican,
> but it tasted terrible and I didn't end up eating it.
>
> The first few batches I made I used London Broil and thought it was much
> better.  Any suggestions as to what are the best cuts to use?

The kind of cut doesn't matter since you're going to be purposefully
drying the meat. So I recommend the cheapest cuts you can find. It is
important to make sure that they are sliced as thinly as possible-- your
butcher will do this for you. Also make sure that the slices you
dehydrate or dry have NO FAT at all on them. This is the key. If you are
drying them in your oven, be certain that the heat is not to high. You
definitely don't want to cook the meat at a low temperature.

Troy Gilchrist
NEANDERTHIN
<http://www.sofdesign.com/neander