From:
Dean Esmay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jul 1997 17:38:41 -0400
>I assume he was eating raw when living "on the Eskimo" diet during his
>travels and explorations.

An interesting question.  His descriptions of his earliest days in the
arctic made it clear that he and the family he was with were eating nothing
but fish and water.  For a while he was eating it roasted over a fire,
while the Inuit were eating it almost exclusively boiled--they roasted it
over a fire for him because they knew Europeans liked that sort of thing.
Eventually he came to decide that the fish was best boiled and so switched
to eating it that way almost exclusively.  The diet for many months was
made up primarily of boiled fish.  HOWEVER, they also apparently ate fish
guts raw, and were particularly fond of rotton fish--basically in the
summer months they'd throw fresh-caught fish under a log and then dig it
out and eat it during the winter after it had become frozen.  They
considered this a prized delicacy.

His descriptions of his later adventures in which they were eating red meat
from walrus, seal, bear, and etc. are much more brief in the accounts I've
read so it's not clear to me if or how they were cooking it.  Since he was
mostly travelling with Europeans I have difficulty imagining that they were
eating everything raw but I don't know; I'll bet Ray or Troy know though.

I really wish I could get a copy of these articles put up on the web so
everyone can read them.