NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 1997 11:15:10 -0400
On Mon, 7 Jul, George Kontos <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I notice that whenever I eat potato salad, I get symptoms very similar to,
but >not as severe, as when I ingest milk...
=message snipped =
>The ingredients [of his mayo] are:  Water, corn syrup, liquid soybean oil,
>modified food starch, egg whites, vinegar, maltodextrin, salt, natural
flavors, >gums (cellulose gel and gum, xanthan), artificial colors, sodium
benzoate and >calcium disodium EDTA >used to protect quality.

George: My nephew, who is very lactose intolerant, is also _very_ sensitive
to sodium benzoate, as well as a number of artificial colors used in foods.
After he was diagnosed as LI and his diet became dairy-free, most - but not
ALL - of his symptoms disappeared. This was troubling until the sodium
benzoate problem was diagnosed, and since then he has been virtually
trouble-free. I don't know if this is a possibility for you, but I do know
that his reaction to the sodium benz was, as you described, symptoms similar
to, but not quite as severe as, his reaction to dairy. When I read that, and
saw the sodium benz in your mayo, it rang a bell. For what it's worth...

Elizabeth Rock