NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Clemens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jun 1997 18:56:55 -0700
Art Pightling wrote:

> You wrote:
>   I hate to sound snotty here, but are
> >doctors really that lacking in nutritional and biochemical knowledge??
> >
> >Tammy G.
> >
> >"A parent's love perceives no limitations."
> >

> Sad to say, in many cases, yes.  I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that
> many times, I researched and found out more than my busy, overworked
> health network doctor, who simply does not have the time after a long
> and hectic day of seeing people assembly - line style to keep up or
> hyper focus on a particular subject.  Medical school does not stress
> (nor in some cases , even train at all) nutrition.  I know a person who
> has a friend in medical school who persisted in asking for courses in
> nutrition and wellness to be offered, and the med school tried to get
> his funding pulled so he would have to drop out.  The old ways of
> looking at things persist because of such tactics to preserve "how
> we've always done things".  People feel threatened when change comes
> along, they feel it is a reflection on them having not done a good job,
> so their ego resists new ideas.  Knowledge evolves, it's a good thing.
>
> Kim

Kim,

There IS, indeed, hope here.  After Joseph Lister PROVED that it was
essential to do surgery in a sterile way, doctors stubbornly refused to
wash their hands.  Slowly they were forced to scrub up, wear gloves and
post-operative infections were drastically reduced.  All we have to do is
wait.  I feel it is obvious that doctors in charge of doctor training
facilities will have to recognize that people are nourished by food and
that that has a direct effect on health and fitness.  THEN, we will have
doctors trained in nutrition and biochemistry.  I know more than my
doctor, too.  She is one of the rare ones who admits that she doesn't
know much about nutrition and the little she does know she has learned on
her own.  When I asked her specifically why she thought that was not
included as part of her medical training, she shrugged and showed me the
palms of her hands.  I've been able to help her tremendously and she is
honest enough to tell me she appreciates it.

Joe

Joe