NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dan Twogood <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 23 Jun 1997 15:07:23 -0700
Susan Martin wrote:

> I was curious to read the comment on this list that children never really
> outgrow any of their allergies.
> If I can successfully quote, .... If continued exposure continues through this "resting"
> stage of outward symptoms, the allergy often becomes life
> threatening...causing an anaphylaxis type reaction some time in the future."

In my experience, true allergies do not go away (although symptoms may
for a while). But it is the rare case (again in my experience) that
proceeds to anaphylaxis. I think most cases proceed from inflammation
(of virtually any tissue, especially the nervous system)to degeneration
with nagging symptoms and poor health in general when the allergens are
not removed. Unfortunately, the people reading at this site are few--the
masses are consulting dostors, taking tests and drugs, and continuing
eating problem foods.

> ..... Does anyone know of
> studies related to outgrowing allergies based on good-sized samples.  My own
> feeling is that as we removed the offending foods, his intestines/eczema
> have calmed down, his digestion has gotten stronger, he is gaining weight, and
> now seems to eat certain beans, potatoes, etc. that before he could not tolerate.
> Anyone have inspiring stories of outgrowing one or more allergy for toddlers? I
> don't want to be unrealistic but my son can really eat almost nothing.
>
> With patients I have seen, most are able to live a great life after they eliminate the main allergens. Also, it seems that the effect of allergens and other irritants is cumulative. I have had many patients report that they cannot tolerate orange juice because it causes heartburn or digestive upset. But once they eliminate casein, orange juice no longer causes a problem.

I think the most important indicator is the child's health and weight
and outward signs of well being. If these are good by eliminating the
main problems, then just proceed and don't drive yourself nuts.  Stay
vigilant.

Daniel A. Twogood, D.C.