NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Linda Blanchard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jun 1997 22:21:58 -0500
I note that the information Don referred to was on Annatto =color= and
Caramel =color=. I believe if the ingredients list says "annatto" or
"caramel" we would not be talking about the same potential for
contamination.

My Penzey's (spice) catalog says that annatto is a seed which is "A must
for South American Caribbean, Mexican, and Spanish cooking. From
Peru...use to impart red color and pungent flavor to rice or polena for
frying chicken or fish, braising pork or beef for enchiladas." They
offer it in whole seed form. (Penzey's, Ltd. Merchants of Quality
Spices. 414-574-0277 and their catalog is a veritable encyclopedia of
spices. I buy spices from them whole and grind them myself, to reduce
the possibility of cross-contamination since we are gluten-free at
home.)

--
Linda Blanchard
http://www.ccgs.com