NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tammy Glaser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Apr 1997 08:34:05 -0400
Tammy Beck writes:

><< When we put her on flax oil (internally, not
> externally), her excessively dry skin became soft and smooth. >>
>
>Can you tell me more about this ??  All three of our children have VERY dry
>skin .... they unfortunately inherited it from me !!!!  And we have to be
>VERY careful with soaps and lotions because a lot of them make it worse ....
>actually cracking and peeling (and sometimes even open bleeding spots).  And
>the lotions that do NOT make the dryness cause irritation just do not seem to
>improve things at all !!

Due to the way foods are processed and cooked in a typical American diet, we
are severely deficient in Omega 3 oils (ie, fatty fish oils like salmon or
tuna, flax, walnuts (fresh), etc).  An excellent book on the subject is
called "Super Immunity for Kids" by Leo Galland because in addition to
recommending flax oil, he also provides other foods high in Omega 3 plus
recipes (not all are gluten free, casein free).  The other thing pointed out
is that there are key nutrients that the body needs to process flax (B6,
magnesium, selenium, and several others).  If you are deficient in any of
them, the flax will not be as effective.  So, it's important to add Omega
3's to the diet through food and/or supplements and ensure that other key
nutrients are not deficient.

There are some important tips in buying and using flax :  IMHO, oil is
better than gelcaps because you can ensure it's fresh.  Make sure it's
REFRIGERATED.  Check for the pressing date and expiration date to make sure
it's fresh--flax goes rancid easily.  DO NOT COOK with it...just mix it in
food right before serving.  Try to eat it with a protein.  If it tastes
bitter, then it's rancid.

It takes about 3 months for you to see the full effects on the skin.  And,
if you don't see them, you might be deficient in those other nutrients
mentioned in the book.

Tammy G.

"A parent's love perceives no limitations."