NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 5 Mar 1998 20:23:21 EST
------
"So here are my questions:
1) Can a lactose intollerence bring on symptoms right after consumption
some of the time, while other times it takes up to 24 hrs for symptoms to
start --or is it always consistant?"

jessica, i am new to this list, but also, so far, identified as lactose and
wheat allergic (last summer)...i just had to respond (lengthily, oops! sorry)

.....and yes, some dairy consumption would make me quickly nauseous....like
right at the end of a meal, and sometimes it would be the next day when i
would get sick from something i had eaten at lunch the day before.....i had
dramatic weight fluctuations - 7-8 pounds within a day...it was very
frustrating ..... i DONT have an eating disorder, but there i was losing my
meals, throwing up...., and i did NOT overeat OR diet, and there i was having
to have 2 sizes of clothes around all the time.....i still need to check other
things in my diet, but since i have removed dairy and wheat products, my
weight is stable, i do not have problems with the nausea/vomiting or
intestinal health.....it is clear that certain things are related to them in
MY body, at least....the diarrhea and all-over-swelling/bloating from wheat,
the vomiting and bloating from dairy, cramping from bell peppers and broccoli
(and probably some other things i have not pinpointed yet...;>)....

.... and its not like i cant ever eat any of these things, its just that when
i do, i know the consequences, i know in advance what some of the symptomic
results might be.  if i choose to eat a piece of yummy gourmet deluxe 4"
cheesecake (i wish), i know i may also be choosing to be nauseous or throw up
altogether after eating it....the price for the perceived pleasure  ;>

you didnt ask about this, but my respiratory problems (asthma, emphysema-like
congestion, chronic bronchitis) are also SIGNIFICANTLY improved.....i no
longer take daily sudafed, proventil, and vancenase...i dont use them at ALL
anymore.....(okok, so i have an inhaler on hand for emergency)  i rarely get
sick anymore, and when i do, i am barely sick.....never enough to stay home
from work, durn!  ;>......

i have added essential fatty acids to my diet, which helps improve the
structure of cell membranes (like, i think it is 65% of the membrane should be
composed of EFAs).....make them less permeable to things that cause allergic
reactions in the body....i.e.  allergens to the mucosal linings of the
nosethroatlungs, or maybe undigested proteins and such being allowed to pass
into the bloodstream from the small intestine, causing allergic responses all
over the body, etc.  (undigested protein in bloodstream causes
mucopolymerization.....increased mucous production in all mucous producing
tissues of the body>>>>>so then the congestion, and the cough to clear it, the
throat irritation from the cough, the bronchitis from the throat irritation,
etcetc....it all chains together in a body-weakening way....)

it takes a period of time to restore normal permeability to the cell walls,
(my doctor told me to think about it taking a year or two.....), but it is
worth my diligence of taking borage oil daily and eating more deep water fish
;>  (i just love salmon)...i may still be allergic to things after cell health
is restored, but i will not be SOOO allergic to so MAANY things......

hey, im really just speculating on this stuff from my own experience....i
apologize for sounding universal  ;>..... as far as the difficulty of
restricting the foods, it is NOTHing compared to the constant plague of
allergies and skin eruptions and sickness and vomiting and weight
fluctuations.....

(glad you are under the care of a physician, with that amount of weight loss!)
i hope some of this was helpful...
susan