NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Theresa McJunkin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Mar 1998 20:20:05 -0600
>Does anyone have a recipe for a cookie that you make by mixing up the
>the ingredients and rolling everything into balls - no cooking needed?
>It must not contain milk, chocolate or nuts.

Debbie,
I looked in my cookbooks and didn't find anything that specifically met
your criteria but I had some ideas that I'll pass along.  I just got my
Hadley Fruit Orchards catalog and in it are date-coconut balls.  I've had
them and they are basically mashed medjool dates rolled into balls and then
rolled thru very finely grated coconut.  (I've never seen such finely
grated coconut in a store.  A dusting of powdered sugar might work as
well.) I'm not sure if coconut is a nut you have to worry about.

If you didn't want to bother with mashing the dates, just stuffing them is
nice.  The kids could stuff with what you might usually use as treats:
raisins, dried apricots, other dried fruit.  You could slice the dates for
the kids and let them dig out the pits, or you could do that for them, too.

A chilled, dry rice pudding would make balls, I bet.  I've got a recipe for
Mango Sticky Rice.  You could use dried mango instead of fresh (or the
dates).

I also have a recipe for Coconut Sweet Rice that uses coconut milk and rice
milk.

If any of this appeals, I'll post the recipes for you.  Just let me know.