NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Robyn Kozierok <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Aug 1997 13:55:52 -0400
Kathryn M Przywara <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>On Mon, 25 Aug 1997 12:06:55 -0400 Robyn Kozierok <[log in to unmask]>
>writes:
>>>Good point.  This is why the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends
>that
>>>babies from allergic families be exclusively breastfed for one whole
>year.
>>> This means nothing at all except human milk for the entire first year.
>>
>>I've never heard this position from the AAP.  They do recommend no milk
>>other than human milk, but I've *never* heard them recommending no
>solids.
>
>I've never seen this position by the AAP either.  I've seen it from WHO
>(World Health Organization), but that's a BIG difference in groups.

That I find much easier to believe.

This is what I got off the AAP's website regarding diet and breastfeeding
(there wasn't anything specific for family history of allergy):

To achieve optimal nutrition, the Academy recommends that infants be
fed breastmilk during the first 6 to 12 months of age. Skim or low-fat
milk is not recommended in the first 2 years because of the high
protein and electrolyte content and low calorie density of these
milks.  Recommended dietary goals for all children more than 2 years of
age include: an average daily intake of 30 percent of calories from
fat, less than 10 percent of total calories from saturated fatty acids
and less than 300 mg of cholesterol per day. The Academy believes
recommendations that call for less than 30 percent of calories from fat
may lead to the inappropriate use of more restrictive diets.

    Restrictive Diets:
    The Academy contends that there is no compelling
    evidence to make recommendations concerning modification of
    the diet during the first two years of life, without first
    assessing effects on growth and development. Diets that
    avoid extremes are safe for children with no special
    vulnerability. Current trends toward a decreased
    consumption of saturated fats, cholesterol and salt and
    increased intake of polyunsaturated fats should be followed
    with moderation. Fat intake should not be restricted in
    children younger than age 2. (See Breastfeeding, Formula.)

    Introducing Solid Foods:
    To meet the nutritional needs of growing children, the Academy
    recommends that appropriate solid foods should be added to their
    diets between 4 and 6 months of age.

--Robyn (mommy to Ryan 9/7/93 and Matthew 6/16/96)
** Check out the misc.kids.moderated RFD and straw poll in news.groups! **