CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
alister air <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jan 1998 08:06:13 +1100
Cameras at work will not be used to increase your safety - if you work in a
similar situation to me, or to almost anyone I know, it's the *workers* who
notice unsafe things, and then report them to management, where they are
dutifully ignored.  I've been in places where there are exceptions to this
rule, but not many.

As for:

>As for examining body fluids, what's the
>problem?  Anybody who is using illegal drugs has a serious problem that
should
>be addressed; as for the punishment for being found with ilegal substnace in
>your bodily fluids, it should probably be addressed from a medical
>perpspective, but identification is important.

This is kind of alarming.  Let's say, *hypothetically*, I smoke marijuana
at home, after work hours.  Traces of dope will remain in my blood for
about three weeks, or so I've heard.  So, if I've smoked dope at any stage
in the past three weeks before my blood test, I'll lose my job.  Is dope a
"serious problem"?  If you accept that cigarettes are, then dope is, but
surely it isn't?  What right does a government have to regulate what I can
and can not put into my body?

>I am fed up with violence caused by drug addicts,

Such as alcoholics, I presume?  I've not known a drug more likely to make
one violent - granted that's because a lot more people drink than, say,
inject heroin.  However, drugs like MDMA (ecstacy) and marijuana (amongst
many others) tend not to promote violent reactions.  At least, so I've been
told :-)