CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 2 Jan 1998 21:16:39 EST
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< So if we could come up with some
 vaugely plausible health/safety justifications, you'd agree to a camera in
 your living room? How about in the bedroom, to monitor activity that might
 lead to the spread of AIDS??

 So you don't support the 4th Amendment protections against unwarranted
 search & seizure?? >>

Obviously, cameras inside of one's home is outrageous.  I said that cameras at
work would increase my safety, presuming that those people assigned to surveil
would report unsafe situations.  As for examining body fluids, what's the
problem?  Anybody who is using illegal drugs has a serious problem that should
be addressed; as for the punishment for being found with ilegal substnace in
your bodily fluids, it should probably be addressed from a medical
perpspective, but identification is important.  I am fed up with violence
caused by drug addicts, violence cuased by natural human propensities is bad
enough.  If you believe that using illegal drugs is ok, you should worry but
not about the gov't, but about your buddies, your contacts, your health,
etc...  What does this have to do with AIDS?  You aren't proposing that
setting up or acting out sexual behaviors on the job is legitimate behavior,
do you?  I am not talking about setting up a date, either, so don't go there.
What AIDS related behaviors are you worrying about on the job.  Exposure to
bloodborne pathogens is a serious consideration for having cameras in the
workplace, most deaths and serious injuries of the middle-aged occur at the
workplace.

Of course the gov't cannot surveil you in your own home, that is a
constitutionally protected right, providing of course that you can buy a