CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sean Beresford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Aug 1997 01:29:48 +0000
David Larkin wrote:
>Can anyone tell me where I can locate Noam Chomsky's review of B.F.
>Skinner's book "Verbal Behavior"  I heard a description of the review, but I
>do not know where to look to find it.  It seems like it would be found in a
>journal years ago, but I suppose it may be reprinted in a more recent
>collection.

 Chomsky's review was published originally in the journal Language in 1959
(Vol. 35, pp.26-58). Since then, it has been published in a number of
collections, including The Structure of Language:Readings in the Philosophy
of Language, edited by J.A. Fodor and J.J.Katz (Prentice-Hall, 1964) and
Readings in the Psychology of Language, edited by L.A. Jakobovits and
M.S.Miron (Prentice-Hall, 1967).
 My source for this information is the book Manufacturing Consent:Noam
Chomsky and the Media, the companion book to the documentary. Anyone out
there looking for a good introduction to Chomsky's work should definitely
check this book out.
In addition to a complete transcript of the documentary, it also includes a
lot of excerpts from Chomsky's work and other supplementary material, as
well as a terrific reference section for any would-be activists out there.

                                                            Sean Beresford