CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Michael Pugliese <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 03:39:48 -0800
>Michael:
>
>So then the lines of demarcation are along political idealogies?
>
>What does the Right-Wing Intelligentsia want?
>
>Who do they want it from?
>
>F. Leon

I think I did a cursory post yesterday briefly saying that I think one
cannot seperate ideology from more material factors. Though of coasr one has
to make analytical distinctions.
   As for THE Right-Wing Intelligentsia- Which sector? The Neo-Cons are the
ones with the most influence but, there are idea mongerers ( there is a
great quote from Lionel Trilling on the right-wing intellectuals of the 40's
and 50's I'll dig it up later for y'all that haven't heard it before. All
the treatments of the Neo-Conservatives cite it.) in all the various sectors
of the Right.
   Here is a handy typology, courtesy of Chip Berlet and Matthew Lyons new
book, "Right-Wing Populism in America: Too Close for Comfort, " Guilford
Press, 2000. I don't have a scanner ( and have 67 other new e-mails to look
at!) so I'll just type the different classifications. I can expand later if
any don't seem self-evident. I'm pretty well versed in the lit that the
Neo-Cons and the Paleo-Cons put out and also the
Militia/Patriot/Constitutionalist nutters (Regressive Populist Patriots in
Berlet and Lyons)

   Conservatives
      Secular Right
          Corporate Internationalists
          Business Nationalists
          Economic Libertarians
          National Security Militarists
          Neoconservatives

   Christian Right
      Christian Nationalists

 The Hard Right
      Christian Theocrats

 Xenophobic Right
     Paleoconservatives
     Regressive Populist Patriots
     White Nationalists
    Far Right

Again I left out the descriptive passages that Berlet and Lyons supply in
the Appendix A to their book. The further right one goes the lower the
quality of the ideas but even in the gun nut sector there are well developed
(if to leftist and centrist and neo-con eyes, bizarre and dangerous and just
plain paranoid) tropes that have long roots in US history.

Michael Pugliese

P.S. Who Do They Want It From? Again depends on who they are appealing to.
The "Patriots" want the NWO, UN, ZOG, ATF, FBI off their backs.
The Xtians want Secular Humanists driven from the schools and the media,
Hollywood, etc.
 The Neo-Cons would settle for in Jeane Kirkpatrick's phrase a,
"Conservative Welfare State." (Think welfare reform...)