CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Eric Overton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 12:05:52 -0400

I can't think of anything that rivals McCarthy era today.  But several
things that could get you stigmatized in a hurry would be:

Speaking up for the poor and disenfranchised groups.
Speaking up for workers rights and fair compensation over corporate greed.
Running for office for any party other than the 3 big ones (Dem., Rep., and
Corporate).

Gratefully, there's nothing quite as threatening as in the past.

Eric

>Hi There,
>
>One of the darkest periods in American History for me is the
>McCarthy
>era.  I wasn't born until twenty some years until after it was
>all over,
>but I'm very fascinated by the whole thing.  I often wonder,
>what is
>today's equivalent of "being a communist", in the red scare sense?
>  Is
>there anything today that carries the same stigma as being (or
>associating with) a communist, did back then?
>
>The only thing I can come up with is being thrifty, not whole-heartedly
>embracing the belief that you need to consume as much as possible.
>  I'm
>sure there are other ideas.
>
>Ed

---