CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bergesons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 22:00:44 -0500
te:

> > Tresy believes that the Khmer Rouge and Milo are greater evils than
> > Imperialism.    Shall  we put the Aztec Canabals in this group also?
> > Tresy, were they a greater evil than Imperalism, also?     How about
> > those Africans that sold other Blacks to the Imperialists?    Also a
> > greater evil, Tresy?
> >
> I have only a vague idea what you are getting at, and to the extent I
> understand correctly, I am not going to engage the subject. I think my
> comparison of Vietnam in Cambodia to the US in Kosovo is fairly
> apt, and my
> support of both has the virtue of being consistent. Did you
> oppose Vietnam's
> invasion of Cambodia? Why or why not? Just curious.

I think that you get into trouble when you say that the Khmer Rouge was a
greater evil than imperialism.  That is simply not a tenable position, nor
is it what you mean, I hope.  I hope you mean that, in this case, Vietnamese
imperialism, or national interest, or whatever state motives were operating,
was the lesser evil than the KR and its activities.  Saying that the KR
surpassed, in its evilness, the entire history of imperialism seems a bit
silly, and I think that Mr. Abdo jumped on you to score a few easy points.

Soren