CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tresy Kilbourne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 18:07:32 -0800
on 12/14/99 5:00 PM, Anthony Abdo at [log in to unmask] wrote:

> Vietnam went into Cambodia to stop the continuation of a violence set
> into motion by Imperialism.
...And kind of stuck around for what? 20-odd years, no? Please, let's not
suddenly get sentimental because it's not the United States under the moral
microscope. I basically accept Chomsky's axiom that countries act out of
self-interest, not humanitarian impulses. If it were the latter, the US
would have intervened in the FRY 10 years earlier. Similarly with Vietnam:
they were provoked as much by cross-border attacks from the KR as any
humanitarian impulses. But good results can come out of self-interested
actions, and I think the result in both cases was clearly preferable to that
of doing nothing.
--
Tresy Kilbourne
Seattle WA