CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Fred Welfare <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Oct 1999 19:23:03 EDT
In a message dated 10/04/1999 1:27:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

> If there is no objective morality here, then I as the
>  bomber can refuse his demand and continue to bomb because my moral
>  code says this bombing is moral.  Unless there is an objective
>  morality here, Milutin cannot base his protest on it.

In this case the bomber must justify why he is bombing.  If his justification
is not
acceptable, then he may not be acting morally.  Anyway, the argument here
assumes that morality is relative and that different morailities exist when
in fact there is only one morality, universal morality, and even U requires a
sanctioning consequence to have any effectiveness.  In the West, there is law
and police enforcement to back up the universal moral code.  The moral and
legal systems are inextricably entwined.

Fred W.