CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"F. Leon Wilson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jul 1999 08:12:07 -0400
On Mon, 19 Jul 1999 16:39:11 +0200, Martin William Smith <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Jonathan A. Reich writes:
>>         Leon:  your first question is absurd on its face.  The 2nd
>> question is a good one, and the answer is: because there isn't any good
>> reason for people to own guns.  They have done great evil in societies
>> around the world.  They cause great suffering in this country.  We would
>> all be better off without them, and, if we had any sense, we'd amend our
>> constitution to take guns away from people.
>
>Well there are at least three good reasons to own a gun: hunting,
>target shooting, membership in the national guard.  I argue that
>self-defence is not a good reason, because, if people are not safe in
>a society, then the society has failed and needs to be resturctured at
>a more fundamental level.

I have a major problem with the statement, "if people are not safe in a society, then the society has failed and needs to be resturctured at a more fundamental level."

If I, and individual of some "constructed society" decides to shoot (to kill) someone has society failed?

I have never join a specific aspect of "society."

How is membership in the society determined?

 How does one become a member of society?

Is society limited by locale or it some imagery makeup?

>I suppose American society has very nearly reached that point, but before throwing everything out and starting
>over, strict gun control like Norway's should be tried.
>
>martin
I don't beleive this statement.  American society has reach no point close to you statement.

People make life choses each day.  They they decide to kill, they have that right to kill.

Perhaps I should ask, "Do people have the right to kill?

F. Leon